Location: Juba, South Sudan
The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens who are contemplating travel to South Sudan, to review the most recent travel advisory (South Sudan Country Information), and to exercise extreme caution when traveling in all parts of the country, including Juba. For any travel outside of Juba it is recommended that you have a minimum of two vehicles, and appropriate food, water, recovery and medical equipment in case of mechanical failure or other emergency.
Violent crimes, such as carjacking, shootings, ambushes, assaults, robberies, and kidnappings are common throughout South Sudan, including in Juba. Travelers should avoid demonstrations and public gatherings; events intended to be peaceful can sometimes become violent.
While visiting South Sudan, or for any other travel outside of the United States, the U.S. Embassy recommends and requests that all U.S. citizens enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll their trip and register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
To enroll in STEP:
- Create an account and register at https://step.state.gov/step/.
- If you do not have access to the internet, you may come to the U.S. Embassy in Juba and register in person.
- If you have access to email, email ACSJuba@state.gov for further instructions.
- If you have access to WhatsApp, please text +211-91-210-5188 for further instructions.
- If you have access to a telephone, please call +211-91-210-5188 for further instructions.
- U.S. Embassy Juba, South Sudan
+211-91-210-5107 (After hours)
Kololo Rd, Next to E.U. Compound, Juba, South Sudan
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- South Sudan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter