The Government of South Sudan requires U.S. citizens to show a visa and valid passport with at least 6 months validity upon arrival at any port of entry.  It is not possible to get a visa upon arrival at the airport.  Visas can be obtained through the Embassy of the Republic of South Sudan in Washington, DC.  If you are overseas, please check with the nearest South Sudan Embassy.

For the most up-to-date information on applying for a visa to South Sudan, please see the Embassy of the Republic of South Sudan in Washington D.C.’s website.  

Embassy of South Sudan
233 20th St NW # 602
Washington, DC 20036
(202) 293-7940

Registration with Embassies

U.S. citizens living or traveling in South Sudan are encouraged to register with the U.S. Embassy through the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) by printing and completing the form which can be found by clicking here (PDF 304 KB). The form may then be submitted to the U.S. Embassy in person or as an attachment to an email sent to

You may also register with the U.S. Embassy in Juba by sending an email to containing the following information: name as printed in passport, gender, passport number, date of birth, email address, local phone number(s), local address/location, and your planned departure date.

U.S. citizens without internet access may register directly with the U.S. Embassy in Juba.

What is STEP?

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.  STEP allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency.  STEP also allows Americans residing abroad to get routine information from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Why should I register?

Millions of Americans travel abroad every year and encounter no difficulties. However, U.S. Embassies and Consulates assist nearly 200,000 Americans each year who are victims of crime, accident, or illness, or whose family and friends need to contact them in an emergency. When an emergency happens, or if natural disaster, terrorism, or civil unrest strikes during your foreign travel, the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate can be your source of assistance and information.  By registering your trip, you help the embassy or consulate locate you when you might need them the most. Registration is voluntary and costs nothing, but it should be a big part of your travel planning and security.

For more information and to register, visit the STEP website.

Passport fee increases:

Passport applicants applying in person at the U.S. Embassy on or after December 27 will notice a $20 increase in the overall passport fee, which differs based on the age of the applicant and whether the applicant is eligible to use a DS-11 or DS-82 passport application. For a full schedule of passport fees, please review our website here:

Applicants can pay in either SSP or USD, however, applicants must pay fully in either SSP or USD and cannot split the fees between the two currencies. The SSP fee cost is based on the daily exchange rate.

Third party attendance at Passport and CRBA appointment interviews (click here)(PDF 178 KB)

This form should be used for renewing a previously issued US passport. You should allow between two and three weeks for the passport to be ready after you have submitted you application.

There are 4 criteria for using this form. Please use the following list to see if you are eligible to apply with a DS-82:

  1. I can submit my most recent passport and
  2. I was at least 16 years old when my most recent passport was issued and
  3. I was issued my most recent passport in the last 15 years and
  4. I use the same name as on my most recent passport or since my passport was issued,

I have had my named changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper documentation to reflect my name-change.

If you answered no to any one of the 4 statements above…Stop! You cannot use Form DS-82! You must apply on a DS-11.

This form should be submitted along with the DS-11 Application for Passport and brought with you when you go in person to apply for a new passport if your previous passport has been lost or stolen.

It is now possible to print passport application forms in Portable Document Format (PDF). Adobe PDF files require Acrobat Reader software from Adobe Systems Inc.

The forms you print must be clear and sharp. Applications that are blurred or illegible will not be accepted. They must be printed in black print on white paper. The paper must be 8 1/2 inches by 1l inches, with no holes or perforations, at least medium (20 lb.) weight, and with a matte surface. Thermal paper, dye-sublimation paper, special inkjet paper, and other shiny papers are not acceptable.

Some printers will reduce the photograph area on the passport application to less than 2×2 inches (5×5 cm). Please make sure that the photograph area on the printed application form is 2×2 inches (5×5 cm) to ensure that the photographs you submit (also 2×2 inches [5x5cm] in size) can be correctly attached.

DS-11 and DS-82 application forms both have 4 pages. Pages 1 and 2 provide information for the applicant and are not for submission. Page 3 requires information to be completed by the applicant, and although page 4 requires no information from the applicant, it does contain official legal statements and is required as part of the application form. Pages 1, 2, and 4 should be read before completing page 3. Your application for submission must include pages 3 and 4. Your application will not be accepted without both these pages.

The following forms are available for printing. Failure to use the correct form will result in a delay in the issuance of your passport.

Pages 3 and 4 of this form must be presented and signed in person in the presence of a consular officer. In the case of a child under 14 years of age, both parents must be present. See page 1 of the form: Special Requirements for Children under Age 14.

You must use this form if:

  1. You have never had a US passport OR
  2. You are under age 16 OR
  3. Your most recent passport was issued more than 15 years ago OR
  4. Your most recent passport was lost or stolen.

(If you are applying because your most recent passport was lost or stolen, you will also need to submit Form DS-64 listed below.)

Please follow the instructions on pages 1 and 2. Print and complete page 3, and print and read page 4 carefully before appearing with pages 3 and 4 to apply for your passport. You should allow between two and three weeks for the passport to be ready after you have submitted you application.

NOTE: If you are replacing a lost or stolen passport, you will also need to submit a police report.

In the event of an emergency, the Embassy may be able to provide an emergency passport valid for one year. To report a lost or stolen passport and request an emergency passport, please email, call the Embassy at +211 (0)912 105 188, or visit the Embassy during regular working hours. Emergency passports cost $145 or $110, depending upon the circumstances, or the equivalent amount in SSP at the then-current exchange rate. Emergency passports can usually be produced within two hours of submitting an application.

For all consular services, currencies cannot be combined – a service must be paid for in either US dollars or South Sudanese pounds, but not both.

This form should be submitted, along with the DS-11 Application for Passport, for minors under age 14 as evidence of parental permission if:

  • You are a parent or guardian who cannot be present when your child applies for his or her passport and you are consenting to passport issuance for your child, or
  • You are an applying parent or guardian and the written consent of the parent or guardian who is not present cannot be obtained.

DS-5504 Application for a U.S. Passport Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement