As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Embassy to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

If your child was born overseas, the U.S. Embassy in Juba, South Sudan, can accept the application for the child’s CRBA. Please note, however, that we can approve or deny CRBA applications only for children born in South Sudan. If a child was born in another country, we can only collect the application and supporting documents and forward them to the U.S. Embassy in that country for adjudication. To save time and streamline the process, we strongly encourage applicants – where possible – to apply for the CRBA in the country or consular district where the child was born.

All appointments for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) applications at U.S. Embassy Juba will be made through an email appointment scheduling system in order to provide better service to our clients.

To request a citizenship appointment, please follow these instructions:

      1. Print the CRBA checklist (PDF 419 KB)
      2. Gather all required documents, including the required application form. (PDF 100 KB)
      3. Send the following to the U.S. Embassy at :
        • A scanned copy of all documents and completed forms
        • A photocopy of the bio-page of each parent’s passport or other identification
        • The signed CRBA checklist
        • Your personal e-mail address
        • A phone number where you can be reached
    1. Please be advised that we will schedule an appointment for you AFTER receiving your COMPLETE application. If you cannot attend an appointment at the scheduled time, please let us know as soon as possible.

**We do NOT accept walk-in appointments or inquiries.


Step One

All applicants must fully complete the CRBA application, Form DS-2029: Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad  (PDF 353 KB), prior to the interview. If the child was born out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen father or the parents are not able to present a marriage certificate, the applicants should also complete and bring Form DS–5507: Affidavit of Physical Presence or Residence, Parentage and Support  (PDF 287 KB).

All CRBA applications must be fully completed prior to the interview. Do not leave any items blank. For any question that does not apply, mark “N/A” (not applicable).

Do not sign the application. We recommend that both parents attend the CRBA appointment.  In this case, both parents will sign the application at the interview in front of a Consular Officer. If the U.S. citizen parent will not be present at the interview, please refer to the section in Step Seven below.

Step Two

All applicants for a child’s passport must complete Form DS-11: Passport Application  (PDF 102KB) prior to the interview. Do not leave any items blank. For any question that does not apply, mark “N/A” (not applicable). We encourage you to apply for a CRBA and passport at the same time. The applicant much also complete the Affidavit for no social security number for the child (PDF 269 KB).

Do not sign the passport application. The application must be signed in the presence of a Consular Officer.

If either parent is not able to attend the appointment, the applicants should also bring Form DS- 3053: Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16  (PDF 42KB).  The DS-3053 must be signed in front of a notary public and the original must be presented at the interview. The DS-3053 must be accompanied by a copy of the front and back of the valid identification presented to the notary public. We do not accept scanned or faxed copies. We also do not accept most notaries from outside of the United States. If the parent who is not at the interview is not in the United States, the DS-3053 can be notarized at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Please note that the DS-3053 must be notarized within 90 days of the appointment date.

Step Three

On the day of your appointment, you must present original records for each of the following items (photocopies or scanned or faxed copies will not be accepted):

  • The child’s birth notification.
  • The child’s birth documents (antenatal records, vaccine records, birth records from clinic, etc.)
  • Original marriage certificate for the parents (if they are married).
  • Original divorce certificate or death certificate (if either parent was previously married).
  • Passport photos for the child (measuring 2” x 2” and meeting the requirements listed on the back of the passport application).
  • Proof of parent’s U.S. citizenship (original or certified copies of the U.S. citizen parent’s passport and Naturalization Certificate, if applicable).
  • Proof of parent’s identity (originals of non-U.S. citizen parent’s passport or national identification card).
  • Proof of sufficient amount of time to transmit citizenship (see step 4.)

Step Four

On the day of your appointment, you must present sufficient evidence to demonstrate that at least one parent was physically present in the U.S. for a sufficient amount of time to transmit citizenship. In most cases where only one parent is a U.S. citizen, the U.S. citizen parent must show that he or she was physically present in the U.S. for a total of five (5) years before the birth of the child. If both parents are U.S. citizens and are married at the time of the child’s birth, then the applicants must show that one of the parents resided in the United States prior to the child’s birth. There are exceptions and additional standards; please visit the State Department’s website  for more information about the physical presence requirement.

Evidence that may be presented includes, but is not limited to:

  • School transcripts,
  • Elementary and middle school report cards,
  • W-2s from employment held while in the United States,
  • Social Security statements
  • Tax transcripts,
  • Military discharge papers

Step Five

On the day of your appointment, you must present sufficient evidence to demonstrate that the applicant is the biological child of the U.S. citizen parent(s). Examples of the types of evidence that can demonstrate the blood relationship between the child and the U.S. citizen parent(s) include:

  • Pregnancy and birth records, such as dated ultrasounds containing the name of mother, laboratory test results, doctor/ultrasound/hospital receipts, pictures of the mother pregnant, pictures of mother and baby immediately following the birth and during the hospital stay, the baby’s and mother’s hospital identification bracelets, crib card, discharge orders, or paid hospital bills.
  • Proof of relationship between parents, such as time-stamped photos of the couple together before, during, and after the pregnancy, photos of the U.S. Citizen parent with the newborn baby, money transfer receipts or other remittance records, lease agreements, bank statements, home utility bills, or IRS tax declaration documents showing a shared address.
  • Proof the couple was together at time of conception, such as original or certified copies of passport pages showing entry and exit stamps.
  • Please note that mobile phones and other electronic devices are not allowed within the Embassy, and that you will need to provide hard copy photos.

Step Six

If a translator is needed, a translator can come to the appointment. Please share the name and date of birth of the accompanying translator PRIOR to the appointment so they will be allowed entry into the Embassy. Attendees other than a parent or guardian accompanying a minor child may not answer a consular officer’s question on behalf or in lieu of an applicant, nor may they summarize, correct, or attempt to clarify an applicant’s response, or interrupt or interfere with an applicant’s responses to a consular officer’s questions. Please read more here about third party attendance to your interview.

Step Seven

On the day of the appointment, the applicants should come to the interview with all required forms and supporting documentation. The applicants must bring the child to the interview. All applicants must first pay the CRBA application fee of $100 per application. The fees are not refundable. Please note that if you arrive at your CRBA appointment and are unable to pay the fee, your appointment will be cancelled and you will need to schedule a new appointment. All fees are payable in U.S. dollars or the equivalent in South Sudanese pounds.

After paying the CRBA fee, the applicants will meet with an ACS intake specialist to review the application and supporting documentation.

Tips for your appointment:

  • It is the responsibility of the parents, not the Embassy, to prove (1) the biological relationship between the child and the U.S. Citizen parent(s) and (2) that the U.S. Citizen parent(s) were physically present in the United States long enough to transmit citizenship to the child.
  • Never assume that, because you successfully applied for another child’s U.S. citizenship, you do not need to bring any evidence to interviews for subsequent children. You must bring all supporting documents with you for each application.
  • You must bring hard-copy printouts of all documents, photos, ultrasounds, etc. No digital media will be accepted. We are not able to access the internet on your behalf to view evidence and documents associated with your application, and you are prohibited from bringing computers, tablets, or smart phones to the interview.
  • In some instances, it may not be possible for the adjudicating officer to conclusively determine from the available evidence that the child is the biological offspring of a U.S. citizen. In these cases, the Consular Officer may recommend DNA evidence to establish parentage. The test will consist of saliva samples from the child and the parents (taken under supervision) and the subsequent testing of the samples in an approved laboratory located in the United States.
  • If the adjudicating officer recommends DNA, the applicants will be provided with instructions on how to have it performed. Please do not conduct independent DNA exams, as only results from Embassy ordered tests can be used to determine a genetic relationship for citizenship purposes. If you have any questions on DNA testing, please email:
  • The Embassy has Arabic translators available, however, they may not be available for your interview. For all applicants who do not speak English or Arabic, it is the responsibility of the applicants – not the Embassy – to bring translators. All translators must have government issued identification cards and must pass through security screening in order to enter the Embassy.

Information for Applications Where U.S. Citizen Parent Is Not Present for Interview

We highly recommend that the parent who is transmitting U.S. citizenship to the child attend that CRBA interview. If the U.S. citizen parent is unable to attend the CRBA interview, however, then he or she must:

The parent attending the interview must then bring the original signed and notarized DS-2029, DS-3053, and, if applicable, DS-5507 to the interview, along with the documents and evidence outlined above in Steps Three, Four and Five. Photocopies or scanned or faxed copies of the forms will not be accepted.

Questions and Further Information

For more information, please visit the State Department’s website  or send an email to