U.S. Citizen Services

The United States government has no higher responsibility than to serve and protect its citizens, including those who reside or are temporarily abroad. To this end, the American Citizen Services Unit in Juba provides prompt, courteous, and efficient services to United States citizens and other clients, consistent with U.S. laws and regulations.  However, please recall that South Sudan is Level 4, Do Not Travel, due to Crime, Kidnapping, and armed conflict and the U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency consular services to U.S. citizens in South Sudan.

The Consular section of U.S. Embassy Juba offers limited services to U.S. citizens in South Sudan.  All routine passport and notary services are conducted by appointment only.  Please use our online appointment system to schedule your appointment. **We do NOT accept walk-in appointments or inquiries.

As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Embassy to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. All appointments for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) applications at U.S. Embassy Juba will be made through an email appointment scheduling system in order to provide better service to our clients.  Please see more about applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad here.

If your child was born overseas, the U.S. Embassy in Juba, South Sudan, can accept the application for the child’s CRBA. Please note, however, that we can approve or deny CRBA applications only for children born in South Sudan. If a child was born in another country, we can only collect the application and supporting documents and forward them to the U.S. Embassy in that country for adjudication. To save time and streamline the process, we strongly encourage applicants – where possible – to apply for the CRBA in the country or consular district where the child was born.

Please see more about applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad here.

Please note that the U.S. Embassy in Juba cannot process non-immigrant visas (including tourist or student visas) or immigrant visas.  The U.S. Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya, processes all petition-based visas and applicants can apply for a tourist visa at any U.S. Embassy that processes B1/B2 tourist visas.  Please visit the U.S. Embassy Nairobi’s website to learn more about applying for a visa. 

Contacting Us

The best method of contacting us about an open case is through the Consular inbox: ACSJuba@state.gov.  This address is monitored throughout the business day and will allow us to reference your case quickly and efficiently. PLEASE include the name and date of birth of the applicant/child so that we can find your case and response promptly.

Consular staff are also available to answer routine inquiries about open cases via telephone during business hours.  During these hours, you may call the Consular section at one of the following numbers: 1-202-216-6279 x382/371 (from the United States) or +211 912 105 188 (from South Sudan).  Please note that these numbers are not monitored outside of business hours.

Our business hours are Mondays through Thursdays from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm and Fridays from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm, excluding both U.S. and South Sudan official holidays.


In the event of an emergency that requires immediate assistance, call the Consular Section at the number listed above during business hours, or call the duty officer at +211 912 105 107 after hours.  Inquiries related to visas, passport renewals, or routine services are not considered emergencies.  You may also call the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C. at 1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444; or email the Consular section in Juba at ACSJuba@state.gov.  Please be sure to include in your message the full name(s) and contact information for any U.S. citizen(s) requiring assistance.

Messages and Alerts

See all Messages and Alerts for U.S. Visitors to South Sudan.