Location: Juba, South Sudan
Event: Increase in vehicular checkpoint activity
There has been an increase in vehicular checkpoint activity by local law enforcement and military personnel in Juba. These officials have conducted searches and seizures at some of these checkpoints and may request money.
As a reminder, the travel advisory for South Sudan is Level 4: Do Not Travel. The U.S. government’s ability to provide emergency consular services to U.S. citizens in South Sudan is extremely limited. U.S. government personnel in South Sudan are under a strict curfew that limits movements to daylight hours.
Actions to Take:
- Carry proper identification, including your U.S. passport with a current South Sudanese visa.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Cooperate with local authorities at the vehicular checkpoints.
- Keep a low profile and do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- U.S. Embassy Juba, South Sudan
- During Business Hours: +211-91-210-5188
- During After Hours: +211-91-210-5107
- Kololo Rd, Next to E.U. Compound, Juba, South Sudan
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- South Sudan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter