U.S. Department of State Social Media Terms of Service
U.S. Embassy Juba, South Sudan
- Acceptance of Terms
The purpose of the U.S. Embassy Juba social media presence is to build a strong community, keep followers informed about events and opportunities, and participate in a cultural exchange with followers.
- Service Description
The U.S. Embassy Juba operates on the Facebook and other social media platforms. The page provides its followers with a variety of features, including but not limited to: photo and video sharing, access to a community blog, a discussion forum, messages, and chat. The U.S. Department of State reserves the right to change the types of features the U.S. Embassy Juba page provides at any time, without notice to network members. Users must adhere to each social media platform’s Terms of Service and to the U.S. Department of State Social Media Terms of Service (this document).
The Information Facebook Collects
When you visit Facebook, or any other social media site, you provide them with two types of information: personal information that you knowingly choose to disclose that is collected by Facebook, and information that Facebook collects when you interact with our website.
When you create a Facebook account, you provide certain personal information, for example: name, email address, phone number, address, gender, etc. The U.S. Embassy Juba page does not share this personal information, nor any other information that Facebook stores.
Participation in the U.S. Embassy Juba Facebook, and other social media platforms, is voluntary. You are responsible for keeping your password secure, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your login. You agree to: (a) promptly notify the U.S. Embassy Community Manager of any unauthorized use of your login or account or any other breach of security, and (b) ensure that you exit/log off from your account at the end of each session. The Department of State will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this section.
- Conduct of Members
You understand that all information, data, messages, or other materials (“Content”), whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, are the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated. This means that you, and not the U.S. Department of State, are entirely responsible for all content that you transmit in any way using the site. The Department of State does not control the content transmitted except as described below and, as such, does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or quality of such content. You understand that by using the Service, you may be exposed to content that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable. Under no circumstances shall the U.S. Department of State be liable in any way for any content, including but not limited to, any errors, omissions in any content, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any posted content, sent, transmitted, or otherwise made available through the Site.
You agree not to use the site to:
- Post, transmit, or make available any content that is illegal, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, defamatory, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- harm minors in any way;
- impersonate any person or entity;
- forge headers or manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any content transmitted through the Site;
- disclose, send, transmit, or make available any content that you do not have the right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as privileged information, proprietary and confidential information received or disclosed as part of employment relationships or confidentiality agreement);
- disclose, upload, transmit, or make available any content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary rights (“rights”) of any individual or group;
- publicize, send, transmit, or make available any unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, “junk mail,” “spam,” “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes,” or any other form of solicitation.
- post, transmit, transmit, or make available any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files, or programs designed to interrupt, destroy, or limit the functionality of any computer software or telecommunications hardware or equipment;
- disrupt the normal flow of dialogue or act in a manner that negatively affects the ability of other users to participate in exchanges;
- interfere with or disrupt the website or servers or networks connected to the website, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the site;
- intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national, or international laws;
- stalk or harass another person; or
- collect or store personal data about other users.
You acknowledge that the U.S. Department of State does not pre-screen Content, but the U.S. Department of State and its representatives shall have the right (but not the obligation) in its sole discretion, to edit, delete, refuse, or move any Content that is available through the site. Without limiting the foregoing, the U.S. Department of State and its representatives shall have the right to remove any content that violates the TOU or is otherwise objectionable. You agree that you must evaluate and assume all risks associated with your use of any content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such Content.
You acknowledge and agree that the U.S. Department of State may preserve content and may also disclose content if it is necessary to do so by law or in the belief that preservation is necessary for: (a) compliance with legal processes; (b) enforce the TOU; (c) respond to complaints that such content violates the rights of third parties; or (d) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of the U.S. Department of State, its users, and the public.
You understand that the technical processing and transmission of the website, including its content, may involve (a) transmissions over various networks; and (b) changes to adapt and adapt to the technical requirements of connecting networks or devices.
You agree that if you post content that contains statements or representations of violence against a person, a group of people, or a country, the Department of State will report the incident and its content to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
- Special Notices for International Use
Recognizing the global nature of the internet, you agree to comply with all local rules regarding online conduct and acceptable content. Specifically, you agree to comply with all applicable laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from the United States or the country in which you reside.
- Content Uploaded or Made Available for Inclusion on the Site
The U.S. Department of State does not claim ownership of content you submit or make available for inclusion on the Site. The Department of State only claims ownership of content generated or created by the Department of State for inclusion on this site. The Department of State assumes no responsibility for the inclusion of third-party links or other third-party content, such as articles.
You agree to indemnify and hold the U.S. Department of State and its affiliates, officers, agents, fellows, or other partners and employees harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorney’s fees, made by any third party due to, or resulting from, content that you upload, post, transmit, or make available through the website, your use of the Site, your connection to the Site, your breach of the TOU, or your breach of any rights of others.
- Prohibited the Resale of Services
You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell, or exploit for any commercial purposes any part of the website, use of the website, or access to the site.
- General Usage and Storage Practices
You acknowledge that the U.S. Department of State may establish general practices and limits regarding the use of the site, including the maximum number of days that posted messages or other available content will be retained by the site, and the maximum number of times, and maximum duration for which users can access the Site in a certain period of time. You agree that the U.S. Department of State has no responsibility or liability for the deletion or failure to store messages and other communications or content maintained or transmitted through the Site. You further acknowledge that the U.S. Department of State reserves the right to modify these general practices and limits at any time, at its sole discretion.
- Modifications to the Service
The U.S. Department of State reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the site (or any part of it). You agree that the U.S. Department of State will not be liable to you or any third party for any modification, suspension, or interruption of the site.
You agree that the U.S. Department of State, at its sole discretion, may terminate your access to the Site for any reason, including without limitation, for lack of use, or if the U.S. Department of State believes you have violated or acted in a manner inconsistent with the letter to the spirit of the TOU. The U.S. Department of State may also, at its sole discretion and at any time, discontinue providing the site, or any part of it. You agree that any termination of your access to the Site under any provision of these TOU may be affected without notice, and you acknowledge and agree that the U.S. Department of State may immediately suspend your access to the Site. In addition, you agree that the U.S. Department of State shall not be liable to you or any third party for any termination of your access to the Site.
To assure that members adhere to the TOU, the language of the U.S. Embassy Juba, South Sudan, Facebook page and other social media is English; however, sometimes we do post some content in Arabic. Content posted in languages other than English and Arabic may be subject to removal. An accurate translation into English must be provided, if a user chooses to post content in other languages.
- Contacting PAS