Call for Applications: Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program 2019 -2020
U.S. Mission in South Sudan is now accepting applications for the 2019-2020 Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program. This one-year fellowship program is offered to mid-career professionals working at the policy level who have a record of leadership and a commitment to public service. Fellows are based at leading American universities for ten-months to pursue self-designed programs to include independent study, coursework, and an internship with an organization in their field of expertise.
The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program brings accomplished professionals from developing countries to the United States at a midpoint in their careers for a one-year program of non-degree study and related professional experiences. The program seeks to foster an exchange of knowledge and mutual understanding between American citizens and their professional counterparts from South Sudan. Successful applicants will be placed at participating universities in the United States from August 2019 -June 2020. Humphrey program is classified as a non-degree program by the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Humphrey Fellows cannot transfer from non-degree status to degree status under any circumstances.
Fellowships are available in the following fields:
- Agricultural and Rural Development
- Economic Development/Finance and Banking
- Natural Resources, Environmental Policy, and Climate Change
- Urban and Regional Planning
Democratic Institution Building
- Law and Human Rights
- Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration
- Trafficking in Persons Policy and Prevention
- Technology Policy and Management
- Human Resource Management
- Educational Administration, Planning and Policy
- Higher Education Administration
- Teaching of English as a Foreign Language
- Public Health Policy and Management
- HIV/AIDS Policy and Prevention
Applicants for the Humphrey Fellowship must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must have completed a 4 years university degree program to qualify for participation in U.S. graduate study programs.
- Have five (5) years of substantial professional experience in their field,
- Have demonstrated leadership qualities and a record of public service, and
- Be fluent in English.
The application form is available here: https://iie.embark.com/apply/humphreyfellowship2019 Completed applications should be submitted online no later than Sep 1, 2018. Applications must detail the specific coursework, independent research, and internship intentions of the applicant and how they fit in his/her professional goals. Copies of certificates, transcripts and letters of recommendation should be uploaded onto each applicant’s online application. If not, they can be delivered directly to the Public Affairs Section at the U.S. Embassy Juba, Kololo road (next to the European Union). Only final nominees will be required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
All applications are reviewed by a local selection panel; final selection of Fellows is made by the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board. Awards are announced by March each year for Fellowships beginning in August/September.
The Humphrey Fellowship provides:
- Round-trip economy international travel for the grantee.
- A monthly maintenance allowance and funding for books and professional activities.
- Tuition and university fees.
- Limited accident and sickness insurance for the grantee only.
For questions or concerns, please email: PAsJuba@state.gov
Note: Because this a popular program, we will only notify shortlisted candidates.