Last Updated: June 22, 2021
The U.S. Embassy in South Sudan is now accepting applications for the 2022 Fulbright Foreign Student Program that brings doctoral students to the United States for one academic year of research. The doctoral candidates must complete their PhDs in South Sudan following their return. The visiting researchers will not be allowed to bring their dependents and extensions will not be granted.
Participants will not be enrolled in classes or in a degree program at the U.S. institution. The program will start in Fall 2022 and will last for one academic year (approximately nine months).
Prospective Fulbright participants should be aware that public health conditions, availability of consular services and travel, as well as U.S. institutional operating status and policies may affect their ability to travel to the United States and participate in academic programs.
- Citizen of South Sudan (South Sudanese nationals with dual citizenship from the U.S. are not eligible for the program)
- Have a sufficient level of English proficiency to engage in graduate level study in the U.S.
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program
- Must detail intended research area and be prepared to submit a writing sample
- Have high motivation and serious commitment to completing the program within a specific time-frame and to returning to South Sudan
- Be able to meet the minimum scores on required standardized tests such as the GRE and TOEFL (tested after screening and interviews)
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- Have not had recent and extensive experience in the U.S.
- Have not held a Fulbright Scholarship before
Deadline for applications is August 15, 2021.