Last Updated: March 7, 2022
The U.S. Embassy in South Sudan is now accepting applications for the 2023-2024 Fulbright Foreign Students Program that brings master’s degree and doctoral students to the United States. Prospective Fulbright participants should be aware that public health conditions, availability of consular services and travel, as well as U.S. institutional operating status and policies may affect their ability to travel to the United States and participate in academic programs.
Eligibility Requirements (Visiting Researcher Program)
- Citizen of South Sudan (South Sudanese nationals with dual citizenship from the United States are not eligible for the program).
- Have sufficient level of English proficiency to enable them to engage in graduate level study in the United States.
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program in South Sudan. If enrolled in a PhD program outside South Sudan, he/she must be a member of a faculty in any of the accredited universities in South Sudan.
- Must detail their intended research area and be prepared to submit a writing sample.
- Have high motivation and serious commitment to completing the program within a specific timeframe and to returning home.
Eligibility Requirements (Master’s Degree Program)
- Applicants must be citizens of South Sudan (South Sudanese nationals with dual citizenship from the United States are not eligible for the program).
- Applicants must have at least the equivalent of four (4) years of university study and the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree. Nominees that have three (3) years of tertiary study should have the equivalent of thirteen (13) years of primary and secondary school and their undergraduate degree should allow them to be eligible to pursue higher education in their home country. Please note that final equivalency decisions will be determined by each U.S. university and not all institutions will accept three (3) year undergraduate degrees.
- Applicants should have a sufficient level of English proficiency to enable them to engage in full-time graduate level study in the United States.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Applicants must be able to meet the minimum scores on required standardized tests such as the GRE and TOEFL. Any applicants who do not meet these standards will not move forward in the placement process.
- Applicants should have a high motivation and a serious commitment to completing the program as scheduled and to returning home.
- Applicants with no extensive or recent U.S. experience will be given preference.
Grant Objective and Duration
- Master’s Degree program: One to two years of funding, depending on the degree length.
- PhD Visiting Researcher Program: Nine to ten months of non-degree research.
If you meet the requirements, please apply online at https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2023/
Deadline for all applications is May 1, 2022. Applications received after that date will not be considered.