Location: Juba and throughout South Sudan
Event: Demonstrations are being organized to take place on or around August 30, 2021 throughout the country to protest against the government. The demonstrations are not approved by the host government.All citizens should exercise caution and be aware of their surroundings, particularly around large crowds or gatherings. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can become confrontational and possibly escalate into violence with little or no warning. The U.S. Embassy will continue to monitor the situation and will send an update if new information arises.As a reminder, the travel advisory for South Sudan is Level 4: Do Not Travel due to COVID-19, crime, kidnapping, and armed conflict. The U.S. government’s ability to provide emergency consular services to U.S. citizens in South Sudan is extremely limited. U.S. government personnel in South Sudan are under a strict curfew that limits movements to daylight hours.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstration.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Carry proper identification, including your U.S. passport with a current South Sudanese visa.
- U.S. Embassy Juba, South Sudan
- South Sudan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter