Event: This is an update to a previous security alert. On October 31, the Government of South Sudan will host a gathering of regional leaders and other dignitaries to celebrate the signing of the Revitalized – Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan (R-ARCSS). Between October 28-November 1, heightened security is expected throughout Juba.
Road closures are anticipated throughout Juba, especially around the John Garang Memorial, Freedom Hall, Presidential Palace (J1), Airport Road, and Ministries Road. Expect additional security checkpoints and an increase of security personnel around government buildings and the hotels of foreign dignitaries.
Actions to Take:
- Plan your travel accordingly.
- Use caution and avoid movement during hours of darkness.
- Monitor local news.
- Avoid large crowds.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- U.S. Embassy Juba,
During business hours: +211-91-210-5188
Kololo Rd, Next to E.U. Compound, Juba, South Sudan
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- South Sudan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter